The Midland County Fair dates back to 1866 when the Fair was first held in the Methodist Church on Main Street. In 1867, the Fair was moved outdoors, across the river to a site located between Chippewa and Tittabawassee rivers…a location we now call the Tridge. These gatherings resulted in the formation of the first agricultural society of Midland County in February of 1877. The Fair relocated to 22 acres of land, now the location of Currie West today. In 1923, due to a lack of funds and a decreasing interest in the fair, the society disbanded. In the years to follow, the Future Farmers of America group and the 4-H program strived to return to a fair. The Midland County Agricultural and Horticultural Society was re-established in 1939. With much community support, the Fair moved to its current location in 1947.
Since that time the Fair has grown to be one of the most recognized and attended fairs in the State of Michigan, bringing hundreds of thousands of exhibitors and spectators together each year. In addition to the Fair, the Society offers a host of diversified events throughout the year ranging from festivals, camper and bike rallies, exhibits and special community events.
The Midland Fairgrounds is also home to the newly renovated Leiphart Schoolhouse. The renovation which took place in 2015 was a collaboration between several students to attended the school, community and private foundations, as well as hundreds of individuals who wanted to see the schoolhouse come back to life.
When you visit the Fair or the fairgrounds, stop by to see the beautiful structure and the historical summary of the building. It will be a treasure for many years to come.